Sous Chef - Grand Rapids
Stewardship of all major assets, including but not limited to, Food, Labor and Equipment. The Sous Chef is primarily responsible for seeing that the directives of the Chef are accomplished to the highest professional and culinary standards.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare all products for service according to prescribed specifications.
- Develop daily production list for staff to complete.
- Maintain inventory levels at prescribed specifications and ensure all stations remain stocked before and during meal periods.
- Maintain organization of the walk in cooler and proper rotation of stock/ product.
- Manage organization and cleanliness of kitchen.
- Receive, rotate, and store stock in proper areas of the kitchen and basement.
- Verifies that all kitchen staff properly follow the recipes and portions serving correctly.
- Train employees in the kitchen.
- Work the line when requested by the line staff / MOD or Chef.
- Maintain a clean, organized and sanitary work station.
- Maintain a clean prep kitchen, back hallway with sweeping and moping daily.
- Communicate unfinished projects to remaining staff.
- Wear the prescribed uniform
- Maintain a good attitude at all times.
- Communicate product needs and other issues to the Chef
- Assign daily deep cleaning tasks to line cooks and coordinate with Closing Captain to ensure jobs are completed to prescribed standards.
- Participate in deep cleaning projects
- Arrive for work on time and check out with management prior to leaving.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and bring suggestions for improvement.
- Assign cleaning tasks to be completed during down time.
- Take part in weekly meetings with Closing Captain and Chef.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Fully understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the restaurant, employees and guests.
- Minimum 3 years experience in food service
- Prior exposure to a vast array of prepping and cooking techniques/ methods.
- Familiarity with safe handling techniques prescribed by county health department
- Good communication skills and a positive attitude.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to10 hours).
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Have a flexible schedule. Must be able to work weekends.