Custodian - The Knickerbocker
We are looking for a responsible custodian to maintain our facilities. The external and internal appearance of a building reflects on our business. It is important for a custodian to be careful and thorough in working, cleaning and tidying the premises. The ideal candidate will be experienced in a custodian role focused on building upkeep. They will have great physical endurance to cover a large space. A keen eye for detail and diligence are also imperative in custodial maintenance jobs.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform and document routine inspection and maintenance activities.
- Carry out heavy cleansing tasks and special projects.
- Notify General Manager & Maintenance Technician of occurring deficiencies or needs for repairs.
- Stock and maintain supply rooms.
- Follow all health and safety regulations.
- Ensure spaces are prepared for the next day by taking out trash, tidying furniture and dusting surfaces.
- Sweep and mop floors and vacuum carpets.
- Wash and sanitize toilets, sinks and restock disposables (e.g. soap).
- Wipe mirrors and windows.
- Maintain outer premises by watering plants & cleaning entrances.
- Undertake occasional shoveling of snow from the sidewalk, lifting heavy items, moving chairs, etc.
- Perform minor fixes such as repairing broken locks, filling gaps on walls, etc.
- Conduct maintenance tasks such as replacing light bulbs.
- Inspect and troubleshoot equipment and systems (e.g. ventilation).
- Check functionality of safety systems (e.g. fire alarm).
- Collaborate with workers and other professionals during renovations.
- Perform other duties as they are assigned.
- Proven experience as custodian, janitor or in a similar role
- Experience with hardware tools and electrical equipment.
- Basic math skills.
- Well-organized and apt in problem-solving.
- Familiarity with Material Safety Data Sheets.
- Integrity and ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment, chemicals and appliances
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
- Familiarity with basic landscaping and handyman practices
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness.
- Lift up to 60lbs.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Be able to work in a standing position for up to 8 hours.
- Be expected to work 25-30 hours/week (Thursday through Monday mornings), including Holidays and weekends.
- Starting at $12.00 per hour